And of course, that is when Battcon is held. Yes...geek heaven. So, I don't go with my dear geek hubby every year, but this year was in Marco Island, FL. So yeah, I was going to go! I'd been once to Marco, and twice to Orlando, and once Miami Beach (bleh). So thankfully, my glorious Mother came to watch my kids and we headed out from a rather chilly Denver, Friday May 2, on a Frontier flight to Ft. Myers.
That is a long way, and I am just very glad I didn't have my kids (and they're big enough to behave!) I always feel for the parents of teeny kiddos that are just tired and want to run around, and want their ears to not hurt etc. It's just no fun for them to travel. Luckily our flight had some pretty good ones and it wasn't them...it was that we had a 2 hour delay, were losing 2 hours in flight due to time change, and that we had a 7 a.m. appointment with a boat that got us a little nervous!
Needless to say, though I slept very well, 6:15 Eastern (4:15 Denver) is early when you go to bed at 2 a.m. Eastern! We made it however, and took the Key West Express to Key West on Saturday. It takes about 3 1/2 hours of fast boat, including choppy waters, seasick passengers, and an amazing view of horizon to horizon sea to get to Key West. I'd been as far as Plantation Key when we visited Miami/Key Largo a few years ago, but we thought we'd spend some time at Key West, see what that was like.
It was humid and warm! But we made the best of it. Ate at the Hard Rock Cafe, rented a little scooter, which Curtis drove and I rode (mortally fearing for our lives I might add). But it was kinda fun I admit.


After much wandering, map checking and pausing, we stopped and found the Southernmost Point in the Continental US! And the entire planet wanted to take pictures of this rock too, so we sorta waited in line, and yes my hair is VERY flat and melted due to scooter riding and the humidity.

We did some store wandering and beach meandering and it is such a pretty and quirky place, it is likely to be rather fun to visit and stay longer for than just one afternoon. But alas, we had to head back to Ft. Myers and thus headed back to the boat and another 3 1/2 hour ride.
Needless to say after our big day, we both slept in! We wanted to attend a 10 a.m. church, but it was 9:45 when we woke up so found a more reasonable (and on the way to Marco) 11 a.m. meeting. Afterwards we found a really nice little restaurant in Marco and had lunch (well, I had pancakes, they were very yummy).
We checked in to the Marco Island Marriott Hotel (ahh gorgeous!) and that night went to a buffet type dinner several blocks
down the street sponsored by one of the vendors, it was quite tasty too. There goes my diet eh?After much visiting with engineers and sales geeks of various sorts, we noticed our phone message light blinking...apparently EVERY night this time of year they leave a message for all their visitors to close their curtains so as to encourage nesting turtles to do their thing and wander out to sea instead of inland. Interesting.
The next day Curtis had early meetings, I wandered down to find their 'breakfast buffet' which was mostly really naughty croissants and coffee, visited with other 'wives' and hooked up with three to go shopping in town. We drove around for an hour and a half, only finding a few touristy places, and I had to get dropped off as hubby paid for me to have the lunch at the conference. I'm so glad...holy carrots, DELICIOUS! Salad, chicken over some potato dish, and a cheesecake. Mega yumness! I spent the afternoon by the pool, reading and not really tanning as I chose a spot in the shade. Met a few other wives, walked on the beach with one very delightful gal from Canada (one of the few 'young' ones), and at about 5 headed up to get changed for dinner.
This was at a beach front restaurant attached to the hotel, lovely. Coconut shrimp, YUM! We had to wander the trade show that night...I collected pens and other giveaways. :D We went to the local Winn Dixie and got me some "REAL" breakfast foods, and I slept in. YES! After my leisurely morning, I drove arou
nd in the rental, exploring the island a little, still, very little as far as really good shopping but got tees and things. Lunch again was amazing, this time steak! That afternoon I just chilled in the room, wandered the hotel, bought my mom a really pretty charm for a necklace, and then we got taken out again by a vendor. This time to the Isles of Capri and a fish restaurant right on the water, right at sunset. Sigh! It was one of those places with palm fronds for a roof, a singer bringing us ballads of relaxation and margaritas, and some really excellent food. Coconut shrimp again, GUH! So yummy. I was stuffed to the gills, exhausted and it was time to go to bed...my flight was at 7:20 a.m. in Ft. Myers, which meant I had to get up at 4:15 Eastern to get there. YAWN. But while the plane was
not delayed, only late landing because of rain making us do a holding pattern for 45 minutes, I got home and got to be with my Mom for two days. And best of all, I came home to a CLEAN house, because my Mom is the best evah and I can't thank her enough!K, also, my kids were fine and loved having grandma. I'm glad I went, even though I was plagued with worry (what if the plane crashes and I leave my kids orphans?) and guilt (I should be there for them not playing!!). I went nervous, came home remembering that I really do luv my hubby, love my kids and love my Mom, appreciate the beauty of visiting other places, and the comfort and sheer luck we have to live in beautiful Colorado. No matter how often I visit beaches, I think mountains are prettier. Pure bias and the fact that I'll probably have skin cancer in my future.
So there it is, I wish everyone could have fun vacations (not just a trip with the kids). :)
Take the Quiz here!

1 comment:
It looks like it was a fun trip. I have been to the southern most point as well. I enjoy beaches as well but nothing beats HOME!
Post a Comment