Sunday, November 8, 2009

Halloween 2009

Halloween was an interesting time this year. My kids are all getting older, but still want candy in a big way! I have a nice pile of costumes I've saved over the years so Josh could wear one, or Joel could adapt one etc...yet this never happens! They always want something new and expensive!

So this year, to my surprise, I spent the most on Brynna who usually comes up with something I have to sew! Her nickname as a little girl was Bee, so she was a bee. I had to buy it. :)

Joel couldn't decide and eventually had settled on something Harry Potter related, but then when we got to a Halloween store, all they had was smut and gore. This topic I could go off on a tangent and rant and rave for hours but I will spare you. Sufficeth to say I am not as fond of Halloween as I used to be because of the chronic expectation that girls should be slutty (insert any profession) and that is their costume, or that boys should be either something gross or psychotic. I miss the days when the costume choices were lion, frog, cat or dog!

Anyway...Joel couldn't find anything Harry Potter-seriously, nothing in the store. How can this be? HP is one of the best boons to Halloween since candy!? So wandering around the store he fancied a mustache. So we bought that, he wore a suit and an earpiece and went as a Secret Service agent. Couple bucks and he was good! Yes!!!

Josh however...who could have fit into the indian costume, the army costume, the jedi, the ninja, zorro or worn any number of wigs, still could not decide and it was about a week prior to Halloween. Then, brilliant mother that I am, brought to his attention that he looks EXACTLY like a character in a book series we are reading. If anyone has read these books called The 39 Clues, they have someone they've 'cast' as one of the main characters, Dan Cahill, and seriously,they could be twins separated at birth! So...heh heh, he wore a shirt, tie and then I printed a picture of this character to explain and he didn't even want to wear that! So that was a very affordable costume! Go me!

We had a church party, trunk or treat and the kids...and after we got home...for the first time EVER, I let them go outside and trick or treat alone. Brynna went with a friend, and the boys went with some other boys from church as a group. I stayed home to help Curtis answer the door, since, literally he could not get up from the couch as he just had surgery on his heel. :) He's recovering nicely, still hopping and has to use crutches, meaning I am the sole driver for at least another week or so.

And, despite the snow, it was actually not that cold this year, so hurrah! Now we move on to November, and all that comes with holidays! For me that means the first couple weeks after Halloween all I do is throw away candy wrappers! :D

2 comments:

Marcie Ashton said...

We had a pretty laid back Halloween as well. Syd was still in the Valley after a soccer tournament, and Cade took Lauren trick-or-treating. It was the easiest holiday I've had in years!

MaryRC said...

i love halloween and homemade costumes, your right, the smut was abundant this year, especially in vegas... ick!