Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Strange Emotions

I feel strange.

So, I have been Young Women's President in my ward for the past 2 years and 3 months. I was released on Sunday. Just as when I was called, I was not expecting the calling in ANY way shape or form, I had no inkling of a release either. I guess I'm just not good at that vibe. ;) I'm glad I knew for a week...otherwise I would have been a mess. I was praying all week that I would be able to accept change, accept and support the new President and I'm very, VERY pleased with who they called.

Jamie Bird is our new YW President and was one of my counselors. I called her in August of last year when I abruptly released some of my counselors and called her as a new one. It wasn't that my other counselors were being taken away, or weren't awesome because they were! Honestly I've never had such a powerful and difficult spiritual leadership choice before. I just KNEW I had to make a change, didn't really know why because I adored the counselors I had but I also knew it had to happen. Like seriously, I couldn't sleep or think clearly for about two weeks.

I am so grateful that experience happened. Even though it was wrenching. It really is sort of hard to describe, but I know now it was meant to be. I know she was being prepared (it's not all about me afterall! LOL!) I wish I could be more faithful and just trust the Lord without angsting about stuff. You have to hope that positive spiritual experience will give you the strength to be more trusting and faithful.

So, now that it's official...I am emotional, and calm, relieved, and depressed, and happy and concerned and comforted and a lot of other words. I suppose that is typical with a calling you both feared and came to love. I will miss my girls! I will miss the leaders that I was able to work so closely with for so long. Our ward meets 'as a building' for Youth programs, thus, three YW presidencies must coordinate and work together with all three youth groups to make things work. It was a lot more coordinating than I thought, but I grew to just LOVE the other leaders and all three wards' YW. What a blessing to get to work with talented sisters from other wards and get to know girls you normally would not have had a chance to! It's just not something many people get to do.

At the same time, I have some bit of feelings of relief. There is a lot of work involved and I've poured a lot of my time into it, which I don't begrudge yet...maybe the Bishop realized that I am just not getting my house clean? ;) I'm hoping that now I've been called as a Primary teacher (yay!) that I may have some time to do something productive. Er...like blogging? Seriously I should be walking right now, grr. ;)

I know many people have had similar experiences with callings, I tend to be angsty about a new one, and sad when released. The Lord has to be rolling his eyes at me sometimes, thank goodness He knows what He's doing.

If I ever got to serve with you with YW or even in other callings, thank you for your talent and support and guidance and love. Church service is something many people don't understand but I'm glad I get to learn through it. *hugs* to all!

2 comments:

Honey said...

Oh, Merilee. You are so great! Those YW are going to miss you. It always seems to be bitter-sweet when we get released. Especially those callings where so much time and energy have been put in. Have a wonderful time in Primary!

btw, did you get ANY reminders of a late start today?? I got nothing, so I took my kids to school only to find out it was a late start. UGH!

MerileeAshton said...

Aww thanks Honey! *hugs* I was so glad we got to serve together on the most memorable girls camp evah!

DANG about the late start! That stinks! They should have reminded you...I did get one. So that's weird.