Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer Fun

July has been good to us so far. My sister and her family were able to come visit early on and celebrate, escaping the AZ heat. (It was 118 in Phoenix just 2 days after they arrived)

It was also warm in Denver (but low 90's ain't nuthin!), but we headed up on a hike to Devil's Head and it was lovely! Got a sprinkle or two and a rumble of thunder but had a very fun time. What a great hike.


The Saturday prior to July 4th Curtis, my brother in law Bob (who took the pic) and the boys all drove up to Wyoming and purchased a ridiculous amount of fireworks. They launched as many as humanly possible in the space of about 3 hours and drove back down to Denver, glee in their hearts!


The next week we spent most of it at the cabin enjoying the truly beautiful weather and scenery. July 4th my sister and her hubby, and Brynna all went on a hike while the other kids and Curtis went fishing. (we totally got the better deal out of that!) We hiked part of the Rich Creek Trail just south of Fairplay. It is a beautiful hike! And you can't tell that my sister and I are related at all can you?


Me and Brynna on the Rich Creek Trail. Gorgeous day, gorgeous place!


The kiddos all at the Southpark Rec Center swimming.


My sister and I decided to explore a little to find more trails in the area and we ended up on Boreas Pass just above Como. BEAUTIFUL area! And just as we got to the pass... it started to rain, and almost immediately started to hail!


Rain and hail at the trail head. We weren't hiking that day, but it was a fun adventure!



Just maybe a half hour later, we stopped at Rocky Point, also on the Boreas Pass road, and found these old rail tracks and sunshine! That old adage about not liking the weather and just waiting a few minutes...yeah it has been that way pretty much all of July so far. Which is kind of fun.



Amazing views above the valley floor from the Boreas Pass road. It is just stunning.

I can't help but be grateful for the land in which we live. I know there are places beautiful and amazing all over the world but I can't help but be very impressed with what is in my backyard! I feel very blessed to live in Colorado. No offense intended to atheists, but quite seriously I cannot fathom this much beauty just randomly popping up. God's handiwork is signed with too much glory for me to miss it. :)

1 comment:

Lynsey said...

What a fun time! I did the Devil's Head trail for girl's camp and loved it. The view from up top was incredible!!