Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 2011


Okay, just want to explain the extremely long lack of blogging on my part. Why I feel I should explain...no idea. It's my blog I should be able to do what I want with it whenever I feel like it right?

In a nutshell last August (2011) life got crazy busy. Not horrible-awful bad things-seriousness or anything, just that my co-worker (where I am part time and she was full time) quit...and my boss was on tour, and they needed me and didn't hire anyone for five months, and then when they did that person quit in 2 months, and then they hired another person and he was fired 2 months later. So basically, while I have been a loyal and ridiculously hard working employee, I was exhausted and not blogging in my spare time.

So thus...dude, I am doing a wrap up one 'month' at a time. I am going to try to do this every Sunday until I get caught up, and then by then...it'll be a habit right? Then it won't be this psycho glob blog. Yeah. Probably just jinxed my next 12 Sundays but oh well. :)



And of course, it looks like Blogger adjusted stuff so I'll be still figuring out how to do this again. Go me!

So for those three of you who follow...hi there. Life is good. Let's review. August 2011 was nice.




Me, Joel and Brynna hiking Mt. Quandary (14, 265 feet)
Me and my oldest two hiked Mt. Quandary. It took me 8 hours and I had a sunburn at the end but I DID IT! Brynna and Joel had already peaked and were on their way down in the above picture, so they beat me by about an hour and a half. 

Me at the top of Mt. Quandary.

It was a beautiful day and definitely made me very happy to say that I have climbed a 14er when I was 40. Even though all these people a LOT older than me were zooming up there rubbing in their awesomeness. 

Brynna, my Grandma Hansen, Me, my Mom

Also in August, we were returning from the Ashton Family Reunion and so thus we stopped at my Grandma Hansen's house in Mona, Utah. She was 96 in this photo and on the bed are something like 28 SETS of pillowcases she has embroidered for her granddaughters. They are incredibly beautiful and represent years of love and talent. I got to pick a set out (I already have two and I cherish them!) and Brynna and my Mom picked out a set also. What a treasure and sweet expression of love! My Grandma is one of those people that I would love to be like. She is just as kind and lovely and generous as can be. 

Joel and Josh...finding a DANGER EXPLOSIVES sign on our way up to Grand Mesa, CO.

So after we left my Grandma's house we drove to Grand Junction, CO and spent the night. The next day we drove up to Grand Mesa which is a place in CO I had never been. It is a BEAUTIFUL gem of a place! I would love to spend weeks exploring it further. Up above the low-lying valleys of Grand Junction there is this huge Mesa that overlooks the vastness into Utah. It is full of diverse, untamed nature and extreme views.
 
Curtis and Me at the Grand Mesa overlook. You can see for ages.

Josh is cold...or Kenny from Southpark. ;)
After we went through the Grand Mesa and enjoyed some time at our cabin, we went down into Denver and then over to Colorado Springs to ride the Cog Railway train to the top of Pike's Peak. (14,115 feet). This was a LOT easier to 'climb'. We rode on a train that goes up and takes you through amazing views. Expensive but worth it at least once.  Above Josh is chilly on the train. It was COLD at the top.
 

Josh and Meri on the Train
The kiddos at the top of Pike's Peak





   

My parents at the top of Pike's Peak.

This is a plaque in memory of the fact that Katherine Lee Bates wrote "America the Beautiful" at the top of Pike's Peak. The lyrics make far more sense when you can really see Purple Mountain Majesties and Fruited Plains all from the vantage point of the top of a 14er. This is a definite "must see" if you ever get a chance to be in Colorado. You can drive, ride, hike or bike (haha!!) to the top. Excellent access and an amazing place.


And then it was time for school (and my busy work experience to begin!). So standard school pics below...hopefully it won't be long before I post the 2012 ones!

Brynna Aug 2011-Junior year First Day


Joel, August 2012-Freshman First Day



Josh, August 2012-6th grade First day












No comments: