Saturday, December 27, 2008

Twilight, a movie review

Can you believe I'm posting three days in a row? Me neither. ;)

So, after our failed attempt yesterday to see Twilight due to the entire population showing up to the theaters, today we bought tickets online, got them at will call AND were 45 minutes early.

This worked. There were still LOTS of people and it was REALLY cold and windy, but we got excellent seats, only had to shift over once. (I swear, when you're nearly first to the theater, get great seats, inevitably the people fill in around you and leave one spot, ending up with one spot on either side of your party and some late couple always comes in and suggests we all move over so they can have good seats instead of the crappy ones in front. Maybe this bugs me because I don't ever go suggest anyone move when I'm late, but anyway, only shifted once, still had good seats.)


I guess I went into this movie with low expectations, much like the first Pirates movie and was just as duly impressed and surprised at my pleasure. Granted, this one I knew the story having read the book, but I hadn't JUST read the book so I didn't remember all the details that probably got left out or were all wrong or whatever. I'm not obsessed with the Twilight series, I doubt I ever will be. I enjoy them, they're nice romantic and relatively engaging, but to me they are a lot more frosting than cake. Tasty frosting but not as filling as say…Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

That said, I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed the movie. I mean shockingly. I was completely entranced, I was surprised how much I liked the actors, even those who didn't 'fit' my mind's eye casting initially, there was a lot glossed over of course, but hubby, who had not read the books, also really liked it a lot. His pleasure came from the 'different concept of vampires' that the story lines up. I guess that could be part of why the books are so popular, of course it helps that everyone, including our love interest, is drop dead (haha bad pun intended) gorgeous! LOL. My fav was probably the alarmed look on Jasper's face all the time. I would have liked to hear more about him in the film.

I must say, that for a movie about a book that I only enjoyed with a 'beach read' satisfaction, I really could go see that movie again. I also would actually like to see the other books made into a movie…I think, I have to finish book 4 still. Let's just say I'm drawing it out for the pleasure instead of the fact that it is not SO fantastic that I HAVE to read it. But I will probably finish it soon.

Not going to go into detail about why this movie impressed me but one thing for sure, the house looked just right, the greenery was amazing, the actors were appropriately cast the directing was spot on as were the fantastic camera angles. I know there's a lot of super-uber-book fans who aren't happy with it, but I'm rooting for this series to get all four movies made, just so I can for sure have 3 more chances at eye candy and a good way to spend the day.

I give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. Much better than many a film I've seen and worth a visit to the theater.

Thank you Stephanie Meyer and congrats on your screen debut! Loved that.

(also, no idea why some of my formatting turned out weird, apparently Google and Vista/Word don't get along)

2 comments:

Humphries said...

Ben and I saw it a few weeks ago and we both really enjoyed it. There were parts that I was thinking oh they did it wrong but in the end I was impressed. I hope they do all the others as well b/c we all need a little eye candy :)

Honey said...

So glad you like it, I did too. There were some things here and there that drove me a little nuts (the make-up! come on!) but I enjoyed myself.

Also, they ARE doing the movie for New Moon! I can't remember when it's supposed to come out, but they're doing it. YAY!